News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: polycystic ovarian syndrome

samster28 - Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Hi I am 28 years old.

When I was 16 Years old I was diagnosed with pcos.

When I was around 23 I started healthy eating and exercising and lost 4 stone. My
periods started again and I have conceived 2 lovely children without any help.

I have been fine since then but 2 years ago started with severe anxiety and panic
attacks for no apparent reason which I am sure must be to do with some kind of imbalance
in my body. I am currently on Citalopram 20Mg.

I was put on Metformin years ago but then was told not to bother taking it, and have
never seen an enocrinologist. Please can you answer a few questions:)

Do you think I should be referred to an endocrinologist?

As far as I am aware PCOS is an endocrine disorder that stays in your body and cannot be
cured just minimised, is that right?

Anxiety problems are related to the hypothalamus which I understand to be part of the
endocrine system, so do you think my anxiety may be related to PCOS and endocrine system?

Do you think I should be on metformin and low carb diet etc?

I would appreciate any feedback as would finally like to think I know a little about
what may be going on in my body. Thank-You again.[/b]
 beer_with_a_straw - Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:19 am

Hello, I have also have pcos. I have done tons of research on the condition, I found that PCOS is a terrible name as cycts are just a symptom not the cause. The cause is Insuline resistance and thats why metformin helps with the insuline. I have taken it and it works great. I have also had some different mood/stress/anxiety problems, and from what I learned you are right.... your hormones are out of wack, which effects your brain. I have recently lost 70lbs (low carb, high b12 vitamins) and it has minimized my symptoms, but from what I understand you can not delete the problem, just manage it! I would check with a doctor to get reffered to an enocrinologist, they can test all hormone levels and give you the best treatment for your situation. sometimes just knowing what is going on in your body and fully understanding it really helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here