Question: Thyroid enlargement/normal bloodwork

Belbot - Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Hello. I am a 27 year old female. I have past diagnoses of Gilberts syndrome. Past surgeries were a tonsillectomy at age 7, and lap chole in 2000.

Family history includes mother who has hypothyroidism, grandmother just diagnosed with benign goiter on thyroid.

Currently on 875mg of Augmentin 2 times daily, magic mouthwash every 6 hours, and vicodin.

I am currently having trouble with pain low in neck/throat about 1/2 to 1 inch about clavicle. This pain has been going on for about 10 days now. It feels like someone hit me in the throat, and also feels very full or swollen, and occasionally feels like something is caught in throat. The pain is constant, and is increasingly getting worse. I was on Amoxicillin 14 days ago being treated for sore throat, or what I believed was a sore throat due to multiple sore throat infections in our house.
Went to my PCP about 7 days ago because of the uncomfortableness, at that point he gave me magic mouthwash, and noted that my thyroid was more prominent that it usually is. Thyroid and CBC tests all came back normal. Four days ago I was back at doctor and he gave augmentin to see if that will treat the problem. But this pain is increasing still, as is the feeling of fullness/tightness in throat.

Can you please tell me what kind of diseases/illnesses can cause you to have an enlarged thyroid w/ pain, fullness, but still have all normal thyroid tests??
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:41 am

User avatar Hi Belbot,
Normal labwork is not necessarily a sign that there are no thyroid abnormalities. For example, Goiter may be present, with normal, below normal, above normal results in labwork. Any thyroid enlargement should be evaluated by a specialist, (Endocrinologist).

|