News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Daughter had Keytones and protein in urine?

elbasso38 - Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:56 am

Hi. I took my daughter to see the nurse practitioner yesterday for abdominal pain. They did a urinalysis which was normal except for ketones and protein. I know that either one by themselves could mean nothing at all, but since it was positive for both, is it likely that she has a problem with her kidneys or has diabetes? Thanks.

Angie
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15 am

User avatar Hi elbasso38,
Several conditons may cause the appearance of protein and ketones in the urine. For example, detection of protein may be observed in people who exercise strenuously, certain kidney disorders, febrile states, etc. Ketones, in large amounts, are identified in disorders such as Diabetes, eating disorders Anorexia/Starvation, prolonged vomiting, etc. How is her generalized health? Does she have any symptoms aside from the abdominal pain? How old is your daughter and how are her eating habits? (This is not to imply a self inflicted state) but asking as a general idea.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:18 am

User avatar Dear elbasso38
Like you said, the presence of ketones and proteins in the urine can result from many factors, like excessive excercise, dehydration, high protein diet, kidney problems, and diabetes.

However, we cannot say that she has diabetes , because this needs to be confirmed by 2 glucose tests, in addition to asking the patient about symptoms of frequent urination, feeling thirsty and hungry.

thank you very much, and i hope she feels better soon
 elbasso38 - Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:57 am

Thank you for your quick replies. She is 6 years old. Onset of abdominal pain was about a month or so ago. Abdominal xray was negative. No fevers. No frequent urination, but she has frequent minor 'accidents'. Her diet is not high in protein. Occasionally, she has missed a meal because of the abdominal pain, but she makes up for it. Abdominal pain comes and goes, but often keeps her from playing and enjoying the things she likes to do. She has had headaches also. Otherwise, she has been healthy. No medication except for an occasional AlkaMint to try to help with gas.

Angie
 elbasso38 - Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am

oh...no excessive thirst or hunger. No vomiting.

Angie
 MRae - Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi, Did you ever find a cure for your daughters stomach pain? My 15 yo has been having this same type of pain for months and yesterday she had protein in her urine. I'm at a loss as to what is wrong with her. She goes to a gastroenterologist next. She is in constant pain. Please let me know what you found out for your daughter. Thanks.
 MRae - Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:20 pm

One more thing...my daughter has frequent headaches too and is taking antacids like crazy just to get thru the day and play. She naps everyday after school. I want her to get well and the doctor seems to be dragging his feet keeping her on antacids. He thinks it may be irritable bowel syndrome. Grrrrr!
 GradNurseInMay - Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Just a thought for you mothers with the children with abdominal pain of unknown origins. Have you heard of a stomach migraine? Try researching it to see if it matches your daughter's symptoms.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here