News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: taking burst of prednisone and sugar level very high

lethe9 - Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:30 am

I am 48 with heart disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and a few other things. My asthma has been very bad lately and the emergency room doc gave me a prescription for high doses of prednisone to taper off in a few days. My sugar is through the roof this morning at 264. I am on metformin. I wonder if I can temporarily increase the morning dose. Later on in the day if I am careful to eat right, the sugar goes to a reasonable level around 130--not good control but much better. The upside to this is that my arthritis flare is getting very much better and my knees don't hurt. The asthma is a lot better too, but by the late afternoon the fatigue is overwhelming and the breathing problems are requiring the rescue inhaler. I didn't know it was better to take the prednisone in the daytime so I took it late at night and stayed up all the first night. Now I am taking it a couple of hours earlier till it is gone or till it doesn't keep me awake.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:33 am

User avatar Hi lethe9,
I would not advise you to increase your dosage of Metformin without first consulting your physician. Again, as I stated in your other post, your blood sugar levels should return to a more reasonable level once the course of prednisone is completed. Elevated blood sugar levels are typically found during corticosteroid use. Please discuss the Metformin dosage with your physician.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here