Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: taking burst of prednisone and sugar level very high

lethe9 - Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:30 am

I am 48 with heart disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and a few other things. My asthma has been very bad lately and the emergency room doc gave me a prescription for high doses of prednisone to taper off in a few days. My sugar is through the roof this morning at 264. I am on metformin. I wonder if I can temporarily increase the morning dose. Later on in the day if I am careful to eat right, the sugar goes to a reasonable level around 130--not good control but much better. The upside to this is that my arthritis flare is getting very much better and my knees don't hurt. The asthma is a lot better too, but by the late afternoon the fatigue is overwhelming and the breathing problems are requiring the rescue inhaler. I didn't know it was better to take the prednisone in the daytime so I took it late at night and stayed up all the first night. Now I am taking it a couple of hours earlier till it is gone or till it doesn't keep me awake.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:33 am

User avatar Hi lethe9,
I would not advise you to increase your dosage of Metformin without first consulting your physician. Again, as I stated in your other post, your blood sugar levels should return to a more reasonable level once the course of prednisone is completed. Elevated blood sugar levels are typically found during corticosteroid use. Please discuss the Metformin dosage with your physician.

|