Question: elevated calcium levels

mactutor - Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:21 pm

52 year old female have elevated calcium level, would like to know if I should have a second opinion. Levels 1999 (10.1) 2000 (10.4) 2005 (10.8) 2006 (11.0) when I was in the hospital the 3rd time for irregular heart beat and pain, all test came back normal the only thing was the doctor at the hospital said i should have my calcium checked since it was elevated the last two times I was in the hospital that was in 2004. My family doctor checked it in 2005 it was still 10.8 this last check I just got back was 11.0. i was told nothing to worry about the level was not that high. I have high blood pressure which has been hard to control. I have never had my bone density tested. I have been reading about hyperparathyoid disease and it seems I have some of the symptoms. I may read too much on the internet, and should just listen to my doctor, but hate to wait another year before my next blood test if its something I should have check and if so by who.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:01 am

User avatar Hi mactutor,
Hyperparathyroidism among other disorders, is a cause of elevated calcium levels in the blood. If you are not taking calcium supplements nor are on any medications that cause elevated calcium levels in the blood, in my opinion, an evaluation by an Endocrinologist is warranted. Best wishes.

|