Question: Thyroid Cancer?

appledip - Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:28 am

Female 42 years old with daily occurance of excessive dry mouth, extreme thirst, enlarged glands under tongue, sore tongue, sore throat, and hoarseness which started in Oct 2005. Had 2 infected teeth removed with no avail to the mouth problem in Dec 2005. In March 2005, did test positive for mono and took predinsone and antibotics for 10 days...again with no relief of mouth problems. Seen ENT doctor in March 2005 who didn't look in my mouth or examine my mouth and stated it could be related to sjogren's syndrome. He said there was no treatment and I would have to live with it. Was diagnosed in April 2006 with uterus tumor and it was removed non-cancerous via hysterectomy. Immediately after the surgery all mouth problems had vanished. Mouth problems reoccured daily beginning in November 2006. I have had Graves disease in 2005 which was fixed with 2 radiation pill treatments. Have been taking synthroid .125 mcg/day. Doctors have continuously tested my thyroid levels and sugar which are always good. Family history includes colon cancer, diabetis, arthritis, high blood pressure, stroke, and hyperthyrodism. Only other surgery was removal of my tonsils in 2005 due to an absess. My question is could this mouth problem be related to my thyroid or other glands? What made this condition disappear immediately after my surgery? Do you have any suggestion on what doctor I need to see? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:29 pm

If I understand well , your problems started after the treatment with Radioactive Iodine.

Radioactive iodine treatment based on the fact that the iodine collects in the thyroid gland, and the radioactivity kills the overactive thyroid cells.

After radioactive iodine treatment, any iodine not up taken by the thyroid gland is excreted in your urine and salivary gland.

Complications of Radioactive Iodine treatment include transient sore throat, neck stiffness and salivary gland affection leading to dry mouth.
The salivary complications may be permanent and results in constant dry mouth. Dry mouth in turn may predispose to recurrent sore throat.

Although thyroid cancer presents with hoarseness of voice, swallowing difficulties, your symptoms seems to be more related to treatment complications.

I advise you to follow with your doctor.
Keep us updated.

|