Question: puffy nipples

helpmeplz - Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:44 pm

hi im a 16 year old male and i have puffy nipples im not fat or overweight and i work out pretty much.. i noticed i had puffy nipples about 3 years ago and it hasnt gone away yet ive read about Gynecomastia and don't really understand .. i just want to know if the lumps underneath my nipples will go away its really embarrasing.. im not sure if its Gynecomastia or what but i know that there are lumps under both of my nipples if you could please give me a way to get rid of these lumps. i already went to the doctor and he said it was just a normal thing in a male during puberty but i don't know.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:38 am

As long as you have been to the doctor and excluded gynecomastia then there is nothing you can do about it for now. Your doctor would have easily been eable to spot the hard round discs that occur in gynecomastia as opposed to normal nipple puffiness. As your doctor said you will have to wait till you pass through puberty and your hormones settle down to see the outcome of this.

Best reagards,
 jamietad - Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:38 pm

yeah i have the same but they are hard when i press them :(
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:36 pm

User avatar Hello jamietad!
You should have it checked out. Gynecomastia is usually a manifestation of endocrine disturbance.
 tiger66 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:29 pm

Im a 16 year old boy and I also have puffy nipples, they don't hurt or anything, but when i grab them i feel something underneath. it's like a hard object. If it is a puberty thing how long does it usually take for it to go away. One more thing when my nipples get erected, example, when im cold the nipples become normal, and they're not puffy for a certain amount of time. I would appreciate if you help me with this issue, thank you.
 thelittleirish - Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:08 am

Hi, i have puffy nipples and i am waiting for them to go away. I have felt my nipples and there is a feeling like a ball underneath my nipple. Does anybody know if this is normal or should i go to a doctor. It started about 1 1/2 years ago and has stayed consistant. Thanks
 anviledge - Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:27 am

Puffy nipples as well; Though I once read that in many teens this is a sign that they are not growing, as many males will not STOP growing, no matter how much, until they are in their mid twenties. When they are erect or I am cold, they look normal.
 TonK@Tz - Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:24 am

Hi doc im 14 and every time i take my t shirt of i always see my 2 big nipples popping out as if they are erected and it is really disturbing. It is usually like that unfortunatelyt. i suppose i have puffy nipples :( Im not fat or anything, i am an athelete and workout so that should'nt be the reason why. i've had them for atleast 2 years so i was wondering what is the problem? How could it be recovered? And how can i avoid the disturbance of it?
 loverhymes26 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:57 pm

hi i am 16 and i have had puffy niples for about 3-4 years. there are no lumps under them, and when i press on them or when i get cold, they look normal. i am about 19% body fat so i don't know if that is the reason. will these ever go away?
 Scotty1 - Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:41 pm

I am 16 as well and I have had the exact same thing under my nipples for about 2 years now and I hate it. I went to the doctor and she said it was normal. Does anybody know a way of getting rid of it? I don't care if its normal, its embarrassing.
 stanster - Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:55 am

I had the same situation when I was a teen, and it lasted well into my twenties. My nipples would get extremely sore and raw from rubbing against my shirts. Finally the doctor decided to perform surgery and remove some fat beneath both nipples. This type of procedure was NOT considered "elective" or liposuction, therefore insurance paid. All is well and normal now.
 KaGeraci - Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:54 pm

Holy crap, I thought i was the only person with this problem, and yeah it sucks. Its really embaressing. I am 16 yo. 5'11". 150lb. Fairly athletic body built type. I have had them for about 2 years. And just like the person before me said, when they get cold, they look normal, but any other time they are puffy, and there something soling, probably around 1in. in length and 1/2in. wide. So any help would be apprecaited, and if anyone that has posted previously has anything else happen, I would appreciate the information. Thank you very much.
 stylesp - Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:45 pm

hey doc i am 21 and i have really puffy nipples i wanna kno how to get rid of them. if i get them pierced will it get rid of it? please help me out i need to get rid of them
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am

I will try to respond to some of the earlier posts and hopefully give you all a better understanding of this condition.

Puffy nipples in a male may involve an abnormality of the nipple, areola, or surrounding area. The nipple is composed of glandular component, a fat component and a muscular component all of which can become distorted to produce puffy nipples.

To explain a few points made by some of the earlier responses, gynecomastia (one of the causes of puffy nipples) is a benign enlargement of the male breast resulting from a proliferation of the glandular component of the breast. The presence of gynecomastia can easily been spotted clinically by your doctor since they manifest as hard round discs that occur beneath the areola and lead to enlargement of the nipples (puffiness). They are very important to exclude since they could be the result of a serious hormonal imbalance.

The causes of gynecomastia include decreased production of testosterone, exposure to estrogens or androgens (such as those used by body builders), some medications (such as eplerenone, ACE-inhibitors, and phenytoin. Chronic liver disease, kidney failure, and sometimes marijuana use can lead to gynecomastia. Rare causes include genetic abnormalities, tumors, or hyperthyroidism.

However, the most common cause of gynecomastia is normal puberty. This is why many of the posters above were told to wait.

Regarding the members that mentioned that their puffiness goes away in the cold that is caused by contraction of the muscular component of the nipple leading to a decrease in its size and normalization of the contour.

Sometimes puffy nipples have an increased fat component not glandular component (as in gynecomastia). These cases need to be assessed by a doctor (plastic surgeon) to determine if they require surgical removal of the fat component or not. This can have dramatic effects as mentioned in one of the posts above.

All of this emphasizes the need to get an evaluation by a doctor. I hope this information has helped.

|