Question: only had tsh test,should i get checked further

becky044 - Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 pm

i have plenty of symptoms that could definately be thyroid related,i asked my family doctor to check my thyroid and they said that my level was normal.......it was 3.0.......as i have researched via internet i have found discrepencies on what is normal..........should i see an endo?.......we only have one here and he is very expensive,i am a single mom with no insurance....i am very willing to pay up front for my visits but at the same time i am very scared of the cost..........most importantly i just want to feel better.....my symptoms continue to get worse over time............thanks in advance for any advice you have........
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:17 am

A normal TSH result usually rules out thyroid function abnormalities. However, since you still have symptoms I urge you to continue following up with your doctor until he is confident of your condition.

becky044 - Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:17 pm

thank you so much for your time.............the one endo that is in my area feels that anything over 2.0 is not within normal range.....does anyone else agree with that?.........or am i wasting my time dwelling on this possibly being what is wrong when i need to be looking elsewhere............i am so confused
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:52 am

User avatar At my laboratory, 0.4 to 4.0 is considered normal for TSH. You would need to check with the lab that did your test to determine what their normal ranges are, but in most cases 3.0 would be normal.

What type of symptoms are you having? Perhaps more detail would allow us to give you some more specific information.
 becky044 - Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:29 pm

my symptoms are foggy thinking,can't concentrate,hair loss,no motivation,dry skin........there are so many symptoms that now that i have researched thyroid problems i don't know if they are even related to each other at this point...............my main concern is the inability to concentrate and focus and remember things that i need to do...........i can actually feel the pressure in the front of my forhead............not painful just uncomforatable.....i thought maybe this was an avenue to check because i had a problem as an infant that was very rare with my pituitary gland and the ability to turn whatever i drank into urine........my mother knows more about that though.......??????
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:33 pm

User avatar The symptoms you describe can be related to hypothyroidism, or may be related to other causes. You should follow up with your doctor. If a TSH of 3 is elevated for your lab, this is preliminarily consistent with hypothyroidism and you should have your T4 level checked.

General labs may be helpful with your symptoms, including a CBC and electrolyte panel.

Symptoms such as yours are difficult to pin down to one illness. Continuing follow up with your doctor is important.

Keep us updated.

|