Question: Suspicious FNA findings

parrotwoman - Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:31 pm

I am a 44 year old female in good health with an unremarkable health history. Past knee surgery, no futher hospitalizations or serious illnesses. I have been seeing my endocrinologist yearly to check on a right lobe nodule. I recently went for my yearly check-up and was having some pain and discomfort on the opposite side of my neck, which I thought was my thyroid. Doctor did an ultrasound, found my lymph nodes to be enlarged on left side and also found a smaller, new thyroid nodule (1.2 x 0.8 x 1.4 cm) He wanted to give my lymph nodes a couple of weeks to calm down as I was coming down with bronchitis/flu and he felt that maybe that was the cause. After a couple of weeks, I went for a FNA of both nodules. He felt that the lymph nodes went down a bit and proceeded to do the FNA. Results were as follows: Larger right lobe nodule was placed in the benign catagory with a giagnosis of colloid nodule. The left nodule revealed a rich mixed lymphocytic harvest representing an atypical lymphocytic proliferation. It was placed in the suspicious catagory and they want to do flow cytometric analysis. My doctor feels that there is no urgency in this and doesn't feel it is anything serious , but I am going back in 2 weeks. My question would be this: is there anything other than lymphoma that would cause atypical lymphocytes in a thyroid nodule? Could my recent bout with bronchitis/flu have anything to do with these findings? My. doctor feels that even if it is lymphoma, it is so small it would be in it's infancy. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:19 pm

Yes there are many causes of increased / atypical lymphocytes in the thyroid. Lymphoma is one but is very rare. Other possibilities include inflammatory conditions of the thyroid such as thyroiditis (eg, Hashimoto's).

Flow cytometry would determine exactly the nature of these lymphocytes.

Good luck and keep us updated.
 parrotwoman - Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Thank you so much for your insight into my thyroid nodule. Having another doctor's opinion during this waiting period is very helpful to me. Thanks again and I will post again after I find out what this is.

|