Question: enlarged thyroid gland

paradox - Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:02 am

I'm a 19 years old female.

Two days ago I had this pain in my neck that I recognized as a problem in my thyroid gland since it happened to me before few years ago.

Back then I had a fever with it and was told it's an 'infection' and given an antibiotic, after using it I went for a check up and my blood tests results were 'good', My mother told me that the same thing happened to me when I was a kid (doesn't remember my age). Even though after that I had no pain I could still feel 'something' bigger on the left side of my neck and sometimes it would hurt but only for a day or so.

This time the pain is right under my left ear down to the front of my throat but my whole left side hurt. and the left side of my neck is swollen. I went to the emergency room and the doctor said it's an 'infection' that's caused by another infection but my throat and ear are fine. He prescribed an antibiotic (Augmentin 1g) and I had a blood test that he said he would call if anything is wrong with it and since he didn't I assume everything is ok. (that was yesterday)

Today, I don't feel any better and I also feel like I'm choking and have difficulty breathing which might cause more problems since I used to have Asthma when I was young but it got better now and it's not as bad as it used to be.

What could be the cause of all this? and should I go see an endocrinologist for further tests?

Thank you.

P.S. My grandmother has some problems with her glands and she takes some medicine daily.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:46 pm

Dear Paradox,

You should definately see an endocrinologist, who will probably refer you to a surgeon. You will be doing a thyroid scan to dtermine whether yoru thyroid gland is very active ,hypo-active or normally functioning but it is just getting bigger.
you will also be asked to do a blood test called thyrpoid profile (TSH,FT3 and FT4).

It seems that you have something called multi nodular goitre which is enlargment of the thyroid gland ,but at the same time it forms nodules that get infected and causes you the fever. and you can feel choking because it presses on the trachea ofcourse.

Good luck and best regards,

|