News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Testosterone Injections for 2 year old

tjmobs - Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:18 am

My son is two years old and my ex-wife has prescribed and admistered two of three testosterone injections without my consent.His penis and testicles are the size of a seven year olds, he is more aggresive and does not really act like a baby anymore.Is this an acceptable practice?She gave me a fake name and work place of a pediatric endocrinlogist.She is an ophlamologist herself and has a different last name than my son which is why I believe that she has prescribed the testosterone herself.What are the long term affects of this drug.The FDA has told me that the only mention of use is for puberty issues in young teenagers.Please help me. Thank you very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:17 pm

User avatar Testosterone injections really are not needed until puberty. They are indicated in testosterone deficiency to help boys complete puberty properly.

Too much testosterone too early can begin to induce some puberty like changes. Most notably, growth can be induced and accelerated such that the bony growth plates close too soon, leaving children short as adults.

I would advise you have your son evaluated by your pediatrician and discuss your concerns with your doctor. If the testosterone is not needed, it can be stopped and he should return to a prepubertal state as his body is not making testosterone at high levels yet. But, an examination is important to ensure everything else is OK.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here