Question: Thyroid nodule

JKF - Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:36 pm

I have recently been diagnosed by a scan as having a thyroid nodule. I am gaining a lot of weight and I have been trying to lose weight. Exercising and trying to eat healthy. It is making no difference. I just keep packing on the pounds. Do you think there is some connection between the thyroid nodule and the weight gain. Thanks JKF
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:20 pm

To related your symptoms to the thyroid nodule, this means that you have a hypothyroid function.

This should be reflected on the results of your blood tests which are requested to assess for the thyroid function including TSH, T3,T4.

It would be helpful if you can inform us about:
-When you have been diagnosed for the thyroid nodule?
-The results of the scan (was
the nodule warm,cold, or hot).
-The results of the thyroid function tests(blood tests)
-If FNAC was done.

-What was the proposed cause for the thyroid nodule by your doctor.
-Are you under any type of therapy.

Follow up with your Doctor is essential.
Keep us updated.
 JKF - Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:38 am

iI don't know any of the answers to your questions yet only that I have a thyroid diagnosed on a scan. I can see it at the bottom of my neck. I am going to my primary care physician and I will ask him many questions you suggested. I don't know how some one could tell what has caused this nodule. How can you tell I see him next week and I will keep you posted. JKF
 JKF - Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 am

I went to my p rimary care doctor yesterday and he gave me a copy of the ultrasound report. It says this The thyroid gland is normal in size and echotexture and contains two small hypoechoic nodules, measuring up to 0.6 cm. Does this sound like anything that could affect my thyroid causing me to gain weight? He wont give me a thyroid test now and is making me wait four months. Meanwhile I am still gaining weight. He wants me to join a gym. I am already walking on a treadmill and trying to eat less food and better food. I really like my doctor and usually trust his judgement but is he right this time? Thank you.

|