Question: Elevated DHEA level

Sabine - Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:38 pm

I am a 43 old female. I went to see my doctor because I was always tired and without energy. A bloodtest was done. My hormones were checked since my doctor said there could be a problem with the tyroids. The test didn't show any abnormalties besides my DHEA level is higher than it should be. It is 16.1 ng/ml. My doctor said that is ok and I should not worry about it.
My doctor also made a upper gi since I have sometimes stomac pain and I was diagnosed with reflux disease. She told me to take prilosec and that was it. I am still always tired and I am wondering if this high DHEA level has anything to do with it.What do you think?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:32 pm

It would be helpful if you can inform us about the investigations done and their results with referal to the normal range provided by the lab were they have been done.

DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) is secreted by the adrenal gland and is a precursor to male and female sex hormones.

DHEA levels are known to decrease after the age of 30. Thus a mild isolated elevation of DHEA should be taken with caution.

Your symptoms are non specific and can be shared with many diseases.
Isolated rise in the level of DHEA is reported in patients with cushing disease in which individuals have increase in body weigh, hirsutism, amenorhea, etc (which you do not have).

I advise you to repeat the blood test for DHEA level and to follow up with your doctor.

Keep us updated.

|