Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Type II Diabetes?

jennykert - Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:09 am

My husband is 53 years old. He is in good health, but takes 10mg of norvasc for high blood pressure.

He is 5'11" and weighs 220 lbs. (he is very muscular--so not as overweight as it sounds).

At his recent dr. appt, his blood pressure was 118/78. His blood sugar (after fasting) was 114, his cholesterol was 225 and his bad cholesterol at 135.

There is no family history of diabetes.

His doctor said that he may want to start to treat him as a diabetic. Is that blood sugar too high? How much weight would he need to lose to make a difference in his blood sugar?

Jenny
 Dr. A. Rajput - Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:24 am

User avatar It seems like a borderline case. Most of the clinicians would have a bit of different approach.

As per the information I have gathered :-

Blood pressure - Seems to be well controlled. Norvasc 10 mg should be continued and BP should be monitered at regular intervals.

Blood Sugar - Fasting blood sugar > 125 on 2 different occasions would worry me. As of now most of the clinicians would like to advice regular exercise and diet control.

Lipid Profile - Bad cholesterol of 135 is slightly on higher side.

Your husband falls into > 2 risk factors category(hypertension and age > 45). So his target LDL (bad cholesterol) level should be < 130.

Other risk factors - Diabetes, smoking, HDL (good cholesterol) < 40, early CAD (heart disease) in first-degree relatives.

So at this stage, starting lipid lowering drugs is more desirable than starting meds for diabetes.

I understand, different opinions are confusing. But the best judge is the one who persoanally examines the patient.

Why do we take so many measures even if the patient don't have any symptoms?

To minimise risk of CAD (heart disease), as all the above factors are proven risk factors of heart disease.

I hope this will help.
 jennykert - Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:56 am

Thankyou very much.

My husband does not smoke, but there is history of heart disease in his Mom and maternal aunt.

Does eating alot of sweets affect his blood sugar? I have heard conflicting information about that.
He eats alot of sweets and drinks soda. I think that is where -we will start first. (In addition to any treatment from his doctor) I don't think eliminating them is practical for him, but I will encourage less donuts, brownies and ice cream.

He lifts weights, but I will try to encourage him to start using the treadmill and bike at work (He is a professional firefighter and can work out during work hours).

I'm thankful that some of this is being caught before it gets out of hand. I think with some diet modifications and different exercise, things can begin to improve.

He will be seeing his doctor again within the next few weeks.

Jenny

|