News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Little c

jewel1028 - Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 pm

May 4 2006, i had a baby girl by c- section, while i was in recovery i was informed that during the last trimester of my pregnancy i developed Little c. Noone new much about this, all they really told me was that it is an antibody that would not really hurt me, but could have caused my baby to have jaundice, and that it might not be a good idea to have more children. I am really just wanting more information about this "Little c".
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:30 am

User avatar Melissa:

I don't know exactly what "little c" stands for, but I have an idea that they were referring to blood type. If your blood type is Rh negative, and your baby's blood type is Rh positive, then your body develops antibodies to the Rh positive blood type. The antibodies are harmless to you, but can be very harmful to a growing fetus in subsequent pregnancies.

Antibodies are a substance that your immune system develops to protect you from foreign substances, meaning anything that shows up that matches up with the antibody. It's a lot like a lock-and-key, if the antibody is the lock, and the foreign substance is the key. So, if your next baby is Rh positive, then your antibodies to Rh positive could attack the baby.

Since I don't know any more of the details of your specific situation, I can't really comment on their advice that you might not want to get pregnant again. You should definitely consult your obstetrician for advice about future pregnancies.

Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here