Question: Little c

jewel1028 - Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 pm

May 4 2006, i had a baby girl by c- section, while i was in recovery i was informed that during the last trimester of my pregnancy i developed Little c. Noone new much about this, all they really told me was that it is an antibody that would not really hurt me, but could have caused my baby to have jaundice, and that it might not be a good idea to have more children. I am really just wanting more information about this "Little c".
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:30 am

User avatar Melissa:

I don't know exactly what "little c" stands for, but I have an idea that they were referring to blood type. If your blood type is Rh negative, and your baby's blood type is Rh positive, then your body develops antibodies to the Rh positive blood type. The antibodies are harmless to you, but can be very harmful to a growing fetus in subsequent pregnancies.

Antibodies are a substance that your immune system develops to protect you from foreign substances, meaning anything that shows up that matches up with the antibody. It's a lot like a lock-and-key, if the antibody is the lock, and the foreign substance is the key. So, if your next baby is Rh positive, then your antibodies to Rh positive could attack the baby.

Since I don't know any more of the details of your specific situation, I can't really comment on their advice that you might not want to get pregnant again. You should definitely consult your obstetrician for advice about future pregnancies.

Good luck to you!

|