Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Carpal Tunnel

hurtinghands - Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:43 am

I am a 45 yr old female. I have had diabetes for around 16 yrs. I recently developed carpal tunnel syndrome... ..Per my job. I have been running heavy machinery. Ive never had problems with my hands. I was wondering could the two be related and if so...why all of a sudden did it start?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:41 pm

Numbness or tingling in your hand and fingers, especially the thumb and index and middle fingers.
Pain in your wrist, palm or forearm.
These are typical symptoms for Carpal tunnel syndrome

It is usually due to increase pressure on the median nerve and tendons in the carpal tunnel and not due to an injury in the nerve itself.

The carpal tunnel is smaller in some people leading to congenital predisposition to the syndrome.

Factors involved in the disorder include :
- Direct trauma or injury to the wrist resulting in swelling swelling,.
- Work stress , repetitive movement can cause tendinitis (like in your case)
- Swellings due to hormonal disturbances like pituitary gland hyperactivity; Hypothyroidism; rheumatoid Arthritis;
- Fluid retention due to hormonal changes like in pregnancy.
- A cyst or tumor formation in the canal.
- In some cases there is no apparent cause.
- Uncontrolled Diabetes may aggrevate the symptoms.

Treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome is preferred to start as early as possible. Underlying causes should be treated first.

General measures include:
Rest of the affected hand and wrist for at least 2 weeks and immobilizing the wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending.
- Use of cool to reduce swellings if any is present.
- medications like NSAID
- Finally surgery is recommended to complicated persistent cases for 6 month after conservative measures.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
 hurtinghands - Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:20 am

Being that carpal tunnel is caused by the median nerve being compressed. Is it possible for carpal tunnel to bring on neuropathy in a diabetic patient? By the nerve being damaged in the hands and wrists?

|