News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Blood Test Results

Konstantina - Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi, I am a 24 year old female, with excess hair growth, and oliy skin, but no acne. I was given a diagnosis of PCOS. My periods are very regular, and Im not overweight 5 6' and 130lbs. Please let me know what you think of my blood work results, as I don't have any of the symptoms of PCOS other then hairiness. I feel as if that is the easiest diagnosis and my DR hasnt looked into all possibilities.

LH-8 (normal in luteal 1-9)
FSH-6 (normal in luteal 1-9)
DHEAS-15.5 (normal 1.8-7.7)----high
Testosterone-5.5 (normal <4.0)---high
free testosterone-8.6 (normal 3.1-11)
prolactin-14 (normal <26)
androstenedione-31.2 (normal 1.5-11.5)--high
glucose serum fasting-6.0 (normal 3.6-6.0)---high end
cholesterol-4.19 (desired <5.20)
triglycerides-0.56 (<2.30)
hdl cholesterol-1.13 (>1.30)---slightly low

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 am

User avatar Hi Konstantina,
A woman does not have to exhibit every single symptom associated with PCOS to be diagnosed with the disorder. Considering the fact that the you have excessive hair growth, elevated androgen levels, and what appears to be insulin resistance would lead one to be more inclined to consider this disorder. An evaluation by an Endocrinologist would give you a definitive diagnosis. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Konstantina - Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:39 am

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have been to an Endo she is the one who ordered the blood work. I did ask her about insulin resistance, do my high end glucose results, but she said Im still within the normal range...6.0 vs 6.1 which would be impaired. I thought to myself at 0.1 away I'm not that far away. She went on to say that Im not overweight so I shouldnt concern myself with this. I don't trust this Endo at all.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 am

Konstantina wrote:I thought to myself at 0.1 away I'm not that far away. She went on to say that Im not overweight so I shouldnt concern myself with this. I don't trust this Endo at all.

You can trust her as I don't see she has done/adviced anything wrong. Maybe its a miscommunication or maybe you weren't convinced with her explaination.

Its the PCOS (which is a fairly common condition) you need to concentrate upon as of now and not slightly high sugar levels (atleast not as of now).

The weight and fairly good lipid profile are the factors in your favour. You can always keep a watch on the sugar levels in your subsequent visits, that too, only if adviced. Your endocrinologist is the best judge as she personally examines you.

Also, regular exercise can bring down the sugar levels drastically, if those still concern you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here