Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Family History of Diabetes

nicki28 - Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi. I am a 28 year old female who has a strong history of diabetes. Both grandma and mom have had it since their 30's. I test my blood sugar regularly and it is always between 80-110. What warning signs should I watch for so I can keep on top of it when and if I get Diabetes also?

Thanks for your help!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm

User avatar Type 2 diabetes (formerly known as adult onset) mellitus is thought to be caused some by genetics and some by environment. Staying healthy, eating well, exercising and being sure to watch your weight may prevent you from developing diabetes.

Signs to watch for are increasing thirst, increasing urination, and increasing hunger. In type 2 diabetes, the problem is that the body becomes resistant to the insulin it is making, requiring more insulin to produce the same amount. Eventually the body is simply not able to make enough insulin to overcome the resistance and blood sugars begin to rise.

Other symptoms include darkening of the skin on the back of the neck, knuckles and finger joints (known as acanthosis nigricans), fatigue, blurry vision, and a feeling as if the brain is running slower than it should.

One should keep in mind, however, that type 2 diabetes may have no symptoms at all. As such, it is important to follow up with your doctor and get regular laboratory check ups (including a fasting insulin level and hemoglobin A1c, a test for long term blood sugar levels).

Hope this helps.

|