News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: glucose and ketones in urine?

ibanezjem - Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:13 pm

For the last year and half I have been plagued with UTI's. This last week I developed the 4th one. When I went to the dr. tonight and asked why I have gotten so many in the last year and half, they started looking at the results of the urinalysis a little better and found that there are ketones and glucose in my urine (along with several other things) The Dr. at that point left the room to ask one of the nurses to do a finger stick and one of the other dr.'s asked what was going on. (she left the door open so I was able to see the entire conversation) When my dr. told the other dr. what was found in my urine she got a very concerned look on her face and started asking about different test that have or have not performed. At this point I am quite concerned just because I saw the other dr.'s facial expression. They are doing some blood work on monday and have ordered "CBC, CMP, T4 TSH, FLP" Can you tell me what these tests are looking for and what the ketones, glucose, blood (and I think protein and leukocytes) in my urine mean?
Thanks!
 ibanezjem - Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:27 pm

I have since had my blood work come back and it appers as though I am very health except for the fact that I still have protein and blood in my urine. The ketones are not present anymore and they performed an utlrasound today on my kidneys which "appear very healthy" as well. But I still don't have an answer for why there is protein and blood still in my urine. Any ideas? Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:40 am

User avatar Hello ibanezjem,
The tests they were doing earlier was to exclude the diagnosis of diabetes and to check if this diabetes is of the secondary type (secondary to another hormone imbalance). I am glad that your results came out fine. Have they ruled out diabetes altogether. Now, it all depends on how much protein and blood you have in urine. If significant then a kidney biopsy may be required.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here