News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Thyroid test results

liz1965 - Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:25 pm

I’m a 42 year old female with a question regarding the results blood work done to test for thyroid problems. In February of 06, my TSH was 2.22 and my free T4 was 1.11. Tests for antibodies were negative (thyroblob < 20, ref: < 25; microsomal 1.4, ref: 0.- 2.0).

I was tested again in August of 2006 with the following results. THS = 2.54, thyroid peroxidase antibodies 10 (ref: < 35). At this time it was noted that my thyroid was slightly enlarged.

Both doctors (my GP and an endocrinologist) indicated that my thyroid was functioning normally. However, I seem to have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, including problems with blood sugar regulation (reactive hypoglycemia), paresthesia, and an extreme sensitivity to cold. Recently I noticed that the bottom part of each eyebrow is missing, which I’ve read can be a sign of hypothyroidism. I’m also losing eyelashes at an alarming rate.

I’ve read postings on this site and others that state that a TSH over 2.5 is most likely indicative of a problem. How does one go about finding a doctor who will treat an elevated TSH that’s below the cutoff of 5.00? I wonder if this is something worth pursuing (I don’t think it will be easy), or are my numbers really within normal parameters?

Thanks,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar Each lab has its own set of normal ranges for tests; however, in general a TSH between 0.4 and 4 is normal. T4 has a wider range. It is possible for one to have an elevated TSH and a normal T4. In your case, both the TSH and T4 are normal. This makes thyroid dysfunction extremely unlikely.

You may consider having some of your other hormones checked, such as cortisol and growth hormone. Decrease amounts of these hormones, particularly cortisol, can lead to many similar symptoms of hypothyroidism. Cortisol deficiency can lead to hypoglycemia as it is one of the hormones that counteracts insulin.

Regarding finding a doctor that will treat hypothyroidism in you, I can't be of any help. I'm not aware of any. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here