News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Swollen and sore sternum

sspa - Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Female, 49, little relevant family history. Menopausal; just now beginning work with Endocronologist and Kinesiologist/nutritionist. I have just discovered a pronounced lump on my sternum bone, that is actually pretty sore. is is approx. 1 inch by 2 inches, soft tissue, about 1/2 in raised.

History: After suffering for 2+ years with various menopausal issues (which now I better understand) I have sought to find help. Initially a doctor put me on Effexor, which helped with somethings but I hated the side effects and I weaned myself off. I then decided to try dietary changes and supplements and have begun to feel better. Symptoms are as such: post menstrual 2+ years; have significant trouble with sleep (wake every night @ 3:30 AM, awake for hours, then dead tired); chronic headaches; sinus issues that present like allergy; I gained 20+ pounds several years ago for no real reason, then around 5+ for each of last years, weight is a real problem; typical menopause symptoms like hot flashes, anxiety, depression. Stress had become a real problem, given the lack of sleep and other issues, but I have gotten that under greater control. Supplements and some herbs have helped (ginsing, St. John's Wort, cordeceps). Working with Kinesiologist, he has put me an "Ultrameal 360, which helps with metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance) to help me lose weight because I have not had any success even though I eat less than 1500 calories, all good calories, and my regular maintenance would be around 2200 / day. The endocronologist, whom I will see again in about 1 month, has put me on Iodine supplement, as he was pleased with the other supplements (don't mess with what works yet but the intent is to get off the herbs at least). He also put me on Progesterone 40 cream (1 gram). I just went onto a antibiotic because I had a sinus infection, because I couldn't shake it after 2 weeks. I still have the sleep issues, headaches

So, long winded. The iodine, Ultrameal and progesterone cream are all new for me this week, as is the antibiotic. I'm wondering if this lump could be a reaction to something, or some combination. I saw one entry here that suggests some lymph node swelling - perhaps from the sinus infection? I'm just a bit nervous, I realize now that I shouldn't have added all of this at the same time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:03 pm

User avatar The sternum would be a little unusual location for a lymph node. I would recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor. I cannot think of anything off hand that would present as you are describing with the exception of a hematoma or callous of a healing fracture.

A physical examination is important to be able to diagnose your condition.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here