Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: How many carbo's

femalehelpinghand - Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:44 pm

My husand was very close to diabetes. We saw a Dietician and she put him on around 200 carbo diet. I cannot recall exactly but he is 71 years old and at the time lost 50 pounds. He is starting to get to lax on this and want him to get back where he should be. I will help but does 200 carbo diet together with watching the calories and quantity of meat and fat allowed sound like the proper amount. I simply used the carbo count and that did it originally. This time I am going to stay on top of it. He also uses a treadmill. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 am

User avatar There is a little fluctuation in the amount of carbohydrates recommended. Most nutritionists recommend around 50-60% of calories come from carbohydrates. Each gram of carbohydrates contains 4 kcals. So, for example, with a 2000 calorie diet, 1000-1200 kcals should come from carbohydrates.

Dividing 1000 or 1200 by 4 gives 250-300 grams of carbohydrates per day.

There may be specific issues for your husband that may adjust this number up or down some. His primary care doctor or nutritionist will likely be able to give you a more specific estimate.

femalehelpinghand - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:59 am

Thank you very much. I am going to make an appointment with the nutritionist on Monday to stay on top of this. Have a great day.
 Hazeleyes32122 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 am

hi my name is Rebecka but preferably just call me Becka. Any way although im like diabetic, epeleptic and like a zillion other things, i wann be a nutritionist/ dietician at like a hospital. and i just need a little advice as to what classes would be best. And possibly...one day proceed to become well maybe another doctor any way what im trying to ask is could you tell me what sort of classes to take and what would be best to like major in and stuf thanks sooo much always, becka

|