News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: How many carbo's

femalehelpinghand - Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:44 pm

My husand was very close to diabetes. We saw a Dietician and she put him on around 200 carbo diet. I cannot recall exactly but he is 71 years old and at the time lost 50 pounds. He is starting to get to lax on this and want him to get back where he should be. I will help but does 200 carbo diet together with watching the calories and quantity of meat and fat allowed sound like the proper amount. I simply used the carbo count and that did it originally. This time I am going to stay on top of it. He also uses a treadmill. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 am

User avatar There is a little fluctuation in the amount of carbohydrates recommended. Most nutritionists recommend around 50-60% of calories come from carbohydrates. Each gram of carbohydrates contains 4 kcals. So, for example, with a 2000 calorie diet, 1000-1200 kcals should come from carbohydrates.

Dividing 1000 or 1200 by 4 gives 250-300 grams of carbohydrates per day.

There may be specific issues for your husband that may adjust this number up or down some. His primary care doctor or nutritionist will likely be able to give you a more specific estimate.

Best wishes.
 femalehelpinghand - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:59 am

Thank you very much. I am going to make an appointment with the nutritionist on Monday to stay on top of this. Have a great day.
 Hazeleyes32122 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 am

hi my name is Rebecka but preferably just call me Becka. Any way although im like diabetic, epeleptic and like a zillion other things, i wann be a nutritionist/ dietician at like a hospital. and i just need a little advice as to what classes would be best. And possibly...one day proceed to become well maybe another doctor any way what im trying to ask is could you tell me what sort of classes to take and what would be best to like major in and stuf thanks sooo much always, becka

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here