Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: A Serious Insulin ?

TheBean - Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Hello
I have been a Type2 Diabetic for just over 4 years. Since then I have never had good control of my Blood Sugars. They range from 15 to 30 with the the normal being in the low to mid 20's. While trying to get my sugars under control I was taking excessive amounts of insulin. At various points I was taking...

200 units per day both NPH and NovaRapid, as well as 4000mg's of Metformin. Over the past few years the drugs have changed but basivally stayed the same levels.

They has never really been any change in my sugars and my doctor keeps telling me to increase by 4 units every 4 days till I see some change. This makes no difference and I am worried about the amounts I am taking and from the way I usually feel think this is not good.

does anyone know what is consider to high of a dose or is there such thing?

Chris
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:16 pm

User avatar Type 2 diabetes is caused by the body being resistant to insulin. In some people it only takes a little extra insulin to overcome this resistance. In others, it may take very large amounts.

I do have one suggestion for you. You may want to talk with your doctor about changing from NPH to glargine insulin. Glargine is essentially a 24 hour insulin. NPH often will last for 8-12 hours. Glargine can help provide a constant insulin amount as a basal level. Then, when you would still use your rapid acting insulin (the NovaRapid) when you need the increased amounts of insulin such as at meal time.

The key to finding the proper amount is to keep working up slowly. I've had some patients on 60 or 80 units of insulin a day while others have only needed 5 or 10 units. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to determine which a person will be other than by trying an amount and working up as needed. You can also work with your doctor to optimize your insulin sensitizing medications such as metformin or some of the other types of Diabetes medications.

TheBean - Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will be seeing a new doctor tomorrow and will enquire about this. At present I have not been on any meds for over 6 months because I was getting to sick off the amount of meds I was taking.

I went to see a Specialist and he wanted to admit me into the hospital right away. The problem is I can't afford the time off work.

Chris

|