News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Losing Feeling

TheBean - Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:23 am

Hello
I am a Type2 Diabetic that has yet to find any good control. My sugars always run high with low to mid 20's being the normal for me. There have been numerous attempts to control my blood sugars with both Insulin and pills. So far nothing has worked.

What I would like to know is, I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. From three different sleep studies it has been determine that I am consider extreme. On my last study they say I register 400 Apnea episodes in an eight hour period. I am now using a C-Pap machine every night with a presure setting of 27. This has reduce the amount of episodes per night but not fully. I thought I read somewhere that Sleep Apnea and Diabeties can go hand in hand.

Would or could my Sleep Apnea be a cause of me not getting good sugar controls? Or could my Diabeties be the cause of my Sleep Apnea and me not getting a good sleep.

Thanks
Chris
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:38 pm

User avatar You raise an interesting question. Does Type 2 diabetes worsen sleep apnea? There are several studies showing that the two do run together. I found several studies that showed that improving sleep apnea would actually help bring Diabetes under control.

Both appear to be associated with insulin resistance. Type 2 diabetes is essentially severe insulin resistance. I am not aware of the link between insulin resistance and obstructive apnea. One link in some people is obesity. Obesity is a predisposer to diabetes. However, this link does not seem to hinge on obesity.

It may be that if you are able to get better control of your sleep apnea your blood sugars may improve.

I did not find much regarding the reverse trend, i.e. improving diabetes resulting in improving sleep apnea. However, if there is a predisposing factor to both and one is able to be improved, there may be an improvement of the other.

This is definitely an area of ongoing research. Great question. I wish I had more information for you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here