News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Precose replaced with Metformin

Catspaw221 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:25 pm

I am 32 years old, married, I have a 14 year old son from a previous marriage, I have been dx with postprandial hypoglycemia, for which I was put on Precose TID,
during meals to slow the absorption of sugar,
I went to see my gyn, being married again now for almost two years, my new husband would like to have a child of his own, which I believed to be the right step, given my age and all, I have always had irregular periods from the time I was 14, and was put on BC pills to regulate this. I went to see my OBGYN, because I got off the BC pills and just wanted a check up, and to ask if my age was an issue for getting pregnant, which she says it's not. After the check up and various test, she told me it's a possibility that I have "Polycystic Ovarian Cystitis", and I would be placed on Metformin 500 QD to help with getting pregnant, the OBGYN called my endocrinologist to discuss, taking me off the Precose and to replace with Metformin. This was ok'd by my endo. What I am worried, or maybe terrified is my BS dropping too low, there are times I am at work at my BS is in the 40's, since being on the Precose If my BS drops in the 60's now I feel awful, so the Precose lets me know now when I am in the 60-80 range, and I can catch my BS from getting too low, for this I just eat some peanut butter, juice or a whole meal, and continue on, sometimes I have to go home but not very often. I work in a hospital and am a medical assistant, so I am very aware and have seen the results of low blood sugar.
This decision makes no sense too me.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:30 pm

User avatar Precose works to slow the breakdown of carbohydrates in the intestine causing slower absorption of the sugars. This reduces the insulin spike that occurs with high blood sugars and can help prevent post-prandial hypoglycemia.

Metformin is thought to have a similar mechanism of action in the GI tract but also senstitizes the body to insulin, decreases glucose production from the liver. Often, hypoglycemia is not a major problem with metformin; however, it is more likely than with precose.

In addition, metformin has been shown to help some women with PCOS ovulate.

I would recommend you talk with your gynecologist to be sure she was aware of your post-prandial hypoglycemia. You will likely do well with the metformin but it will be important to be aware of the symptoms of hypoglycemia and watch for them closely once you start the metformin to ensure it will be OK for you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here