"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Are stretch marks normal ?

collegegirl2009 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi. I am a 19 year old female. I have been told I have some type of "hormonal problem" by my Gynecologist- he prescribed me birth control pills because my menstrual periods stopped. I have been taking the pill for about 2 years now. Over the past couple of years, I have gained weight (I was about 130 lbs 2 years ago and now I weigh 175). My acne has not really improved, despite being on the pill, and most of my weight gain is in the abdomen. I also have big pinkish stretch marks on my stomach- I wonder if this is normal- I figure my skin should have more elasticity and stretch. I have researched and read that cushing's syndrome could cause stretch marks. I am wondering if I should get this checked out, or if this is just some variant of "normal". All replies would be greatly appriciated. Thanks !
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:56 pm

User avatar You have gained a considerable amount of weight in the last two years. With this much of a weight gain I would have to say that the stretch marks are directly related to this and in fact very normal. Skin is very elastic if stretched over a length of time, however when stretched quickly, unfortunatly, stretch marks are usually the result. I would consult with your MD about the weight gain. It is possible you need to just switch the brand of birth control you are taking. Good luck to you.

lilylenay - Mon May 07, 2007 12:00 pm

are you still having periods? Either way I would have this looked into. It doesn't sound normal to me. Stretch marks are normal but some of the symptoms you described are not! I'm not a doctor but it doesn't take one to know that much