Question: Are stretch marks normal ?

collegegirl2009 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi. I am a 19 year old female. I have been told I have some type of "hormonal problem" by my Gynecologist- he prescribed me birth control pills because my menstrual periods stopped. I have been taking the pill for about 2 years now. Over the past couple of years, I have gained weight (I was about 130 lbs 2 years ago and now I weigh 175). My acne has not really improved, despite being on the pill, and most of my weight gain is in the abdomen. I also have big pinkish stretch marks on my stomach- I wonder if this is normal- I figure my skin should have more elasticity and stretch. I have researched and read that cushing's syndrome could cause stretch marks. I am wondering if I should get this checked out, or if this is just some variant of "normal". All replies would be greatly appriciated. Thanks !
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:56 pm

User avatar You have gained a considerable amount of weight in the last two years. With this much of a weight gain I would have to say that the stretch marks are directly related to this and in fact very normal. Skin is very elastic if stretched over a length of time, however when stretched quickly, unfortunatly, stretch marks are usually the result. I would consult with your MD about the weight gain. It is possible you need to just switch the brand of birth control you are taking. Good luck to you.

Angela,RN
 lilylenay - Mon May 07, 2007 12:00 pm

are you still having periods? Either way I would have this looked into. It doesn't sound normal to me. Stretch marks are normal but some of the symptoms you described are not! I'm not a doctor but it doesn't take one to know that much

|