News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: a small lump in the side of neck

nado300 - Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:36 pm

Dear receiver, i'd like to thank you in advance for your time. Cutting to the chase, i noticed a pea-sized lump in the left side of my neck(afew cms below my ear) a few weeks ago. I didn't pay any real attention, but a about 2 weeks ago i felt some pain around it.I went to see an MD and she had me do a blood test.The tests came pretty normal. she asked me to wait 2 weeks and then if the lump didnt go away, she would perform a biopsy(FNS)...I'm kind of worried, especially that the blood picture was normal, and i didnt feel anymore pain in it since the first time i did. Do i really need to do the biopsy? If the blood tests are normal , what could be the problem that might have caused this lump to appear?
N.B. The lump hadn't changed in size since i first noticed it.
Thanks again for ur time.

Nada(21 years of age)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:01 am

User avatar What you are describing sounds like a typical lymph node that has become somewhat enlarged and tender due to fighting off an infection.

The location for such a node fits where you are describing feeling it.

Typically, these nodes begin to shrink and the pain goes away after a few days to several weeks. The node may or may not shrink back down to its original size but the tenderness should go away.

Before doing a fine needle biopsy I would recommend giving it several weeks unless there is something about it that is concerning (such as being very hard and immobile or rapidly getting larger).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here