News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: HGH releaser suppl. , height increase after puberty

Tom777 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 pm

Hello,

I’ve reached my big 40 three months ago and noticed a handful of grey hair and some wrinkles on my face, other than that I’m very healthy. I read that taking HGH supplement can help to slow down the aging effect, and can restore dark hair color and reduce wrinkles. There are lots of HGH supplement products on the market and I’ve been cautioned that most are really ineffective. I came across an HGH product which claims to have bovine pituitary extract in a capsule, acting as HGH releaser. I wonder if bovine pituitary extract in a capsule form would stimulate more HGH release, and that it would be safe to take everyday? What about risk of prions disease from taking the inhfected dried extract in a capsule?

Or this supplement of bovine pituitary extract is a waste of money, and that I should just let myself age gracefully, as they say?

My other concern is that recently I’ve grown another 2 inches since graduating from college when I was 25, as I can no longer fit into the pant I wore for graduation back then – it’s short . I read that the epiphyseal (sp.?) plates close in early twenties and I would stop growing. I don’t eat red meat, but take full spectrum amino acids supplement everyday to make up for the protein intake. My facial & body proportion look normal as it has been, but is it abnormal that I’ve grown taller in my late 30? Should I see a doctor about this?

Thanks much.

Thomas
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:15 am

User avatar I would recommend against bovine HGH extract. This would need to be isolated from the cow's pituiatry. With our knowledge today of prion disease I would have to say that this could be a risky situation.

You are correct that the growth plates close shortly after the completion of puberty. At this point, not much growth should take place. If you are still growing you should consider seeing an endocrinologist for some testing such as an x-ray of your hand to look at bone conditions.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here