Question: Lab results contradict symptoms

dacubster - Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:50 pm

I am a 23 year old female. Up until this time last year I was a seemingly healthy individual. I then came down with a very severe respiratory infection and was hospitalized for a week. Before being discharged the doctors told me my labs showed I had hyperthyroidism. I was released without treatment and told to see an endocrinologist within a few weeks. A week later I was back in the ER with horrible heart palps and a heart rate over 180. I was placed on a beta blocker and given PTU. I started receiving treatment from an endo. from there on out. My labs have showed I have been in the hyper range from that point until December, when I came down with pneumonia and was hospitalized again. This time my labs began showing I was hypothyroid (and I definetely had most of the significant symptoms of this).

My medication was reduced, and since mid January my labs show that my thyroid condition has been in remission. Anyways a few weeks back I started feeling funny. I was extremly hot (even in 20/30 degree weather), I was shaking and trembling (especially at night), my hair was coming out in huge chunks, and my heart rate was now hard and fast. I called the endocrinologist and he ran the thyroid panel. He called this week and said they all came back normal (I wont be able to see the actual results until next week). He gave me no such help whatsoever as to what may be physically causing these symptoms.

In fact he pretty much suggested it was anxiety. Now please note I have been treated for anxiety since this all began, mostly because of the fast, irregular heart rate that I have had throughout. I have responded well to the medication and have seen a therapist for over a year. Now the suggestion that this is mental, is really upsetting to me. I haven't been under stress, and in fact things have been very good until all these things started. In fact my psychiatrist has said that he thinks this is not a mental reaction. Mentally I feel fine, but physically I feel like my body will not slow down. I shake so bad that I cannot fall asleep at night, and have the sensation that I want to go for a run in the middle of the night.

I am not sure what to do, I am very frustrated. I am stuck in an HMO with one endocrinologist, who has basically given me no advice, and a primary doctor who only wants to refer me to the endocrinologist for help. I have a previously scheduled appt. for next week with the endo. to see if there is any help I can get.
Is there any advice you could provide me with, I would really appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 pm

User avatar Your symptoms are very suspicious for hyperthyroidism. Without actually seeing the labs it is difficult to say. Perhaps your levels are "normal" but on the upper end of normal which may be elevated for you.

Your situation is difficult when you only have one doctor available and are unsatisfied.

My best advice is to talk with your doctor and explain your concerns.

dacubster - Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Thank you very much doctor.

I had an appointment with the endocrinologist this week, and he listened more carefully to my concerns, and had the opinion that the symptoms do suggest hyperthyroidism, especially given my history with the disease. He is running the labs again next week. Also, he is running the catecholamines test, looking for possible Pheochromocytoma as I fit the symptoms for that as well.

My heart rate has been out of control this week similar to my first hyperthyroidism episode. I have showed repeat episodes of HRs over 160 in my primary and cardiologists offices that remained steady for over two hours. The cardiologist ran EKGs and find only sinus tachycardia, so they think an endocrine problem is causing all this.

My endocrinologist has referred me to the University of Chicago hospitals to see a specialist who is an expert in these disorders as he also speculates that it could be a number of problems that he is not familiar with or how to treat.

Thank you again for your advice, and I hope to get this all resolved.

|