News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Type of Doctor for PCOS

aprilgirl12 - Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi, I am a 20 year old female. My doctor thinks that I could possibly have PCOS as suggested from an U/S. However, it was never confirmed for sure. I have had blood work done and she said the hormone levels could support that diagnosis but could also be caused by other things. Should I see a gynecologist or an endocrinologist for this? It is the symptoms of it that are what bothers me, like the hirsutism, irregular periods, extra weight, as well as pelvic pain. I know I would see a gyn for fertility purposes, but for the treatment of symptoms, wouldn't it be better to see a endocrinologist, since they deal with hormones and metabolism.
Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:10 pm

User avatar Either choice would be appropriate. Gynecologists as well as endocrinologists are knowledgeable of the syndrome.

Most women already have a gynecologist but not many have an endocrinologist. So you may want to start with your gynecologist. If your gynecologist is not comfortable treating PCOS you may be referred to an endocrinologist.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here