News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Buffalo hump and headaches in the back of my head.

cherish - Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi I am a 26 year old female. I have always been in good heath. I noticed towards the end of last year that I have a ugly hard bump on the top of my back just under my neck, right in the middle. It is hard, almost feels like a bone. I did a search on it and I got, "Buffalo hump." Is a Buffalo hump hard? I read it is a fatty area, so does that mean its suppost to be soft? I also have been getting bad headaches (different headaches than my normal ones) and a sore neck from it.
I also came across, Cushings when doing the search about buffalo hump." I have gain about 50-55 pounds in less than two years (I think most if not all has gone to my stomach) even though my eating habits haven't changed. I take my kids on a walk frequently. (I'm not sitting on my butt all day eating bon-bons...lol) I just figures it was cause I'm getting older and have had three kids. But this search has got me wondering.
I am a divorced single mom of two and I am living off child support with no heath insurance. So just going in for questions sounds very costly to me. Please help me decide if I should go in to see a doctor or if it's nothing to worry about.
oh I just noticed I need to include the following-
I am on no medication. I have had no past surgeries. The only past diagnoses I have had is an ovary cyst last summer and I also have refux. My family history is all clear except for some cancer (My mom had breast cancer and my grandpa prostate.)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:33 pm

User avatar Your symptoms are suspicious for Cushing's Disease. I would recommend that you be evaluated.

Often there are clinics that have free or reduced cost care for those without insurance. Your local health department can often point you to these.

Best wishes.
 cherish - Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:49 pm

I just wanted to tell you thank you for your time!
Also are there any other things that could cause my symptoms?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:53 pm

User avatar Hypothyroidism doesn't usually cause a "buffalo hump" but can explain many of your other symptoms. This may be something to look into as well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here