Question: Untreated hypothyroidism and pregnancy

cta - Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 pm

I am 26 years old. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My TSH level was 17. Two months ago, my TSH was 13. I was given to take Syntroid, but I did not take it. I read all kinds of reviews from patients who took this medicine and I got scared that I might not get pregnant. I even have 2 friends who have taken the medicine for the last 12 years and they never got pregnant, although they tried to. I did not try to get pregnant yet, but I would like to have a baby very soon.
My question is: what are the chances to get pregnant if I do not take the medicine and what would be the chances if I take them?

Thank you very much!
 Redd1973 - Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 pm

[quote="cta"]Hello,

Thank you very much![/quote]

Dear cta,

I had questionable but "within normal range" thyroid test results for years, from my late teens into my twenties. They testing was a result of lethargy, fatigue, etc. Luckily, I had a concerned and thorough OB/GYN who insisted I get a second opinion after my primary did nothing. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had a complete thyroidectomy nine and a half years ago. At the time, acquaintences told me that I would never be able to have children. Obviously, I take thyroid replacement daily, and will for the rest of my life. I am and always have been on a monster dose (ranging from 250 mcgs to 400 mcgs a day). I am now thirty four and have a five and a half year old son and an eighteen month old daughter. I would think that it would be more detrimental to you not to take the medicine than to take it- you need to get that TSH as close to zero as possible. Being on replacement does not mean you will not be able to have children- I am living proof! Discuss this with your primary, your endocrinologist, and your OB/GYN, and make an informed decision that you can live with. Good luck!

|