News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Untreated hypothyroidism and pregnancy

cta - Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Hello,

I am 26 years old. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My TSH level was 17. Two months ago, my TSH was 13. I was given to take Syntroid, but I did not take it. I read all kinds of reviews from patients who took this medicine and I got scared that I might not get pregnant. I even have 2 friends who have taken the medicine for the last 12 years and they never got pregnant, although they tried to. I did not try to get pregnant yet, but I would like to have a baby very soon.
My question is: what are the chances to get pregnant if I do not take the medicine and what would be the chances if I take them?

Thank you very much!
 Redd1973 - Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 pm

[quote="cta"]Hello,

I am 26 years old. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My TSH level was 17. Two months ago, my TSH was 13. I was given to take Syntroid, but I did not take it. I read all kinds of reviews from patients who took this medicine and I got scared that I might not get pregnant. I even have 2 friends who have taken the medicine for the last 12 years and they never got pregnant, although they tried to. I did not try to get pregnant yet, but I would like to have a baby very soon.
My question is: what are the chances to get pregnant if I do not take the medicine and what would be the chances if I take them?

Thank you very much![/quote]

Dear cta,

I had questionable but "within normal range" thyroid test results for years, from my late teens into my twenties. They testing was a result of lethargy, fatigue, etc. Luckily, I had a concerned and thorough OB/GYN who insisted I get a second opinion after my primary did nothing. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had a complete thyroidectomy nine and a half years ago. At the time, acquaintences told me that I would never be able to have children. Obviously, I take thyroid replacement daily, and will for the rest of my life. I am and always have been on a monster dose (ranging from 250 mcgs to 400 mcgs a day). I am now thirty four and have a five and a half year old son and an eighteen month old daughter. I would think that it would be more detrimental to you not to take the medicine than to take it- you need to get that TSH as close to zero as possible. Being on replacement does not mean you will not be able to have children- I am living proof! Discuss this with your primary, your endocrinologist, and your OB/GYN, and make an informed decision that you can live with. Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here