News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: hypothyroidism symptoms

sameer786 - Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:10 pm

I am a 27 year old male with no PMH and no surgeries. My mom has hypothyroidism and she takes synthroid. A couple of my aunts have hypothyroidism too. The only current medication I take is propecia 1mg qd. I am a 4th year medical student. My question is simple. I don't have medical insurance. I exhibit a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I have extreme cold intolerance so much so that even when everyone else around me feels hot, I still feel cold. I always wear layered clothing. I am constantly sleepy and tired even though I get around 8 hrs of sleep per day or more. I have extremely dry skin (even after using moisturizing soap and lotion) and dry hair and dry scalp. My hair also falls out very easily but I think this is due more to androgenic alopecia. Still, hair on the back and sides of my head falls out too. The only thing I currently don't have is weight gain. I am 6 feet 1 inch and I weigh 165 lbs. Also I am never constipated.

My question is, is there any harm in starting off on a small dose of synthroid and see if my symptoms improve or I start feeling better. I remember getting a TSH over a year ago, and it was in the normal range but more close to the high side. I don't remember the exact value and I don't have insurance to get another test. I have access to synthroid. What dose can I start on, what are the potential side effects and how long should I stick to it to see if symptoms improve. Waiting for a response. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:38 pm

User avatar I would strongly advise against starting thyroid medicine before having your TSH tested. The thyroid gland is basically like the control center for the body. It can result in subsequent effects on many different systems of the body.

There are often clinics that offer free or reduced care for those without insurance. Your local health department can usually lead you in the right direction.

Best wishes.
 nami - Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:40 am

Hi, i'm nami, 26, f, of Philippines. I just want to share & ask. Because, before i have hyperthyroidism. Bec i'm thin, always hungry and does'nt like in heat weather. But now i'm gaining weight & sometimes i feel like i wanted to get sleep. And i'm kinda constipated. That's my only symptoms, so i wanna know if i'm now HYPOTHYROIDISM? And before i did'nt have my menstruation, but until now i still haven't. So, i'm confused and wondering if this is still hyperthyroidism or already a HYPOTHYROIDISM. Please help me, answer this. Thanks!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here