News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: could it be an adrenal problem?

jen77 - Sun May 06, 2007 8:04 am

I am a 20 year old woman, I have been getting increasing and worsening symptoms over the past 4 years.

SYMPTOMS:
fainting episodes
anxiety
sever hypoglycemia
cold all the time especially hands and feet
increasing worseing tirdness, has a strange pattern (wake up after uninterrupted sleep still tired, about 11am better, few hours after dinner about 3pm tired again, about 6pm better. about 8.30pm tired again), some days are better than others and begin to question wether it is real.
am weaker than i used to be
my hair is very thin and comes out easily
i cant gain weight have lost a few pounds recently BMI 16 (am eating still)
had a localised reaction to plaster recently which i have never had before.
started feeling nauseaus recently

Blood tests:
thyroid normal
not aneamic
fasting blood glucose 1.2mmol

Please can you help, what does this sound like?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 pm

User avatar Hello, I have read through all your posts and I would be quite suspicious of a deficiency in cortisol. You may have an isolated cortisol deficiency or other hormones of the adrenal gland may also be affected. I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about having your cortisol level tested and possibly have a cortisol stimulation test to see if your cortisol level increases as it should.

Cortisol counteracts insulin and a deficiency may lead to hypoglycemia. Cortisol is also an important factor in being able to maintain blood pressure. If you are having low blood pressure this, along with your low blood glucose levels, may be contributing to your fainting.

You may also want to have your aldosterone level tested to be sure there isn't a deficiency with this hormone as well. It is involved in fluid regulation that also relates to your blood pressure.

Best wishes.

Also, please note that I have removed most of your other posts and consolidated them into this post. If you still have questions please feel free to post a follow up.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here