Question: low thyroid

jwles - Sun May 06, 2007 10:42 am

I am female, 38 years old, I have had a thyroid test which came back as low then the next test a month later came back as normal, 1st test result was 11 and the next test was 15, what does this mean and is it normal for thyroid test results to fluctuate in this way please?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 06, 2007 8:04 pm

User avatar I am presuming that the test you are referring to is your total T4 level based on the normal levels.

This value can fluctuate based on the amount of protein binding that is happening in the blood. During these fluctuations the free (active) T4 is normal. To test for hyper or hypothyroidism, the best test is a TSH level. The TSH or thyroid stimulating hormone is much more sensitive to body needs that the actual T4 level (although the free T4 is pretty good).

jwles - Mon May 07, 2007 12:54 am

Thank you for your reply, could you please tell me if these fluctuations could occur for a number of years, I have been feeling unwell on and off for 8/9 years, it started just after my second child was born and I have been treated with anti-depressants for anxiet/ panic attacks for a long time.I've always maintained that I don't feel depressed or even low until the episodes of feeling ill occur. Many of the symptoms I have relate to hypothyroid, extreme tiredness, dizziness, heart jumping,very foggy thinking, irritability, tingling in the lower face and hands, heavy periods and more recently a hoarse voice, could it possibly be that my thyroid has been going up and down this long thus causing my episodes of feeling very poorly?

|