Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: causes of fasting hypoglycemia?

jen77 - Fri May 11, 2007 6:23 am

Hi I am a 20 year old woman. I have been suffering from hypooglycemia and othe such symptoms (inability to gain weight, cold, fatigue, lack of energy etc..) When I wake up my sugar levels are usually in the 2'smmol,.
I have 2 questions for you,

Is it normal for your blood sugar to drop below normal when fasting e.g. in the morning my blood sugar was 2.3mmol (by fasting I mean having not eaten in about 5 hours or when you wake up in the morning) ?

Lastley I had a fasting blood glucose test take the other day prior to havingthe blood taken I checked the level on my blood glucose monitor it was 1.2mmol, I know they aren't very accurate, however when I got the result I was told that the levels were normal. How come an hour before the blood was taken it was 1.2mmol and then an hour later the doc is telling me it is normal? (I know that the home blood glucose moniotrs arnt totaly accurate but its only about 15% difference itsnt it) Therefore if it is right what causes the blood sugar to change so rapidly?
please post back,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 10:40 pm

User avatar Blood sugars can fluctuate quite rapidly. When the body recognizes blood sugars that are too low, the body kicks into gear and releases several hormones to rapidly increase the blood sugar.

There are a few conditions that can cause hyperinsulinemia resulting in low blood sugars. Also, a lack of one of the counter-insulin hormones will make hypoglycemia more likely. There are a number of blood tests that can be done to look at insulin levels and the counter-insulin hormone levels. The trick is that the blood tests need to be done while the blood sugars are low.

Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with these units for blood sugar so I am having a little bit of a hard time judging how low your blood sugar is so I'm hesitant to make any comment about the significance of your blood levels.

|