Question: Abnormal labs show hyperthyroidism with normal ultrasound???

luvumason - Sat May 12, 2007 9:34 am

Hi, I am a 21 year old female who was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism through blood tests. My doctor is sending me to see an endo but, I can't get in until July so, in the mean time I was having a few problems so, he did a thyroid ultrasound. He called and said the ultrasound was normal so there are no tumors or growths. What else could cause my hyperthyroidism???
Thanks,
Luvumason
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 12, 2007 1:32 pm

User avatar The ultrasound would be helpful in finding any nodules that may be over-producing thyroid hormone. This is really a less common cause in someone your age.

More likely is a condition known as Grave's disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

In these conditions, the body makes antibodies that attack the thyroid gland. In Grave's disease, the antibodies bind to the receptor to induce the thyroid to make more thyroid hormone.

In Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the antibodies actually damage the thyroid hormone cuasing extra thyroid hormone to leak out into the blood. Initially, the thyroid levels are high until the thyroid gland is damaged to the point that it quits making thyroid hormone and then the thyroid hormone levels fall. The hormone levels may return to normal but typically will ultimately become low.

The endocrinologist will likely order tests to detect these antibodies to help determine if any of these diseases are occurring. Both are treatable, as are most of the other possible causes.

|