News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Abnormal labs show hyperthyroidism with normal ultrasound???

luvumason - Sat May 12, 2007 9:34 am

Hi, I am a 21 year old female who was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism through blood tests. My doctor is sending me to see an endo but, I can't get in until July so, in the mean time I was having a few problems so, he did a thyroid ultrasound. He called and said the ultrasound was normal so there are no tumors or growths. What else could cause my hyperthyroidism???
Thanks,
Luvumason
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 12, 2007 1:32 pm

User avatar The ultrasound would be helpful in finding any nodules that may be over-producing thyroid hormone. This is really a less common cause in someone your age.

More likely is a condition known as Grave's disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

In these conditions, the body makes antibodies that attack the thyroid gland. In Grave's disease, the antibodies bind to the receptor to induce the thyroid to make more thyroid hormone.

In Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the antibodies actually damage the thyroid hormone cuasing extra thyroid hormone to leak out into the blood. Initially, the thyroid levels are high until the thyroid gland is damaged to the point that it quits making thyroid hormone and then the thyroid hormone levels fall. The hormone levels may return to normal but typically will ultimately become low.

The endocrinologist will likely order tests to detect these antibodies to help determine if any of these diseases are occurring. Both are treatable, as are most of the other possible causes.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here