News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Hyperthyroidism cause of missed period???

luvumason - Fri May 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi, I am a 21 year old female and I have written quite a few questions recently about some problems that I have been having. I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and had a throid ultrasound that confirmed there are no growths or tumors but, my doctor is sending me to the endo and I don't get in for another month. Also, I was having some stomache, pelvic, and back pain so, my doctor did a cat scan that confirmed I also had a few cysts on my ovaries and fluid around my colon but, the biggest cyst is only two cm. I was supposed to start my period four days ago and I always start on the same day and have really heavy periods but, my period never came. I have been cramping on and off like I do with my period and occasionaly I will see a spot of pink blood on the toilet paper when I wipe but, nothing else. My husband had a vicectomy about a year and a half ago but, I took a pregnancy test just to be sure and it is negative. Can my hyperthyroidism be causeing this...or my cysts maybe???
Thanks,
luvumason
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 9:55 pm

User avatar In searching for this answer I've found reports of hyperthyroidism causing a period sooner than expected but I could not find any data saying it can cause an absent period.

However, hormonal imbalances from ovarian cysts can sometimes cause changes in the menstrual cycle as can stress.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here