News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: why high blood sugar in morning?

jen77 - Sat May 19, 2007 8:24 am

Hi, I suffer alot with hypoglycemia (and other problems) In the mornings my blood sugar levels are usually low (has been as low as 1.4mmol) i know that it can be lower than the normal range in the mornings but it is usually in the low 3's and 2'smmol. What i wanted to know is this:
the last couple of days my blood sugar has been 5.6mmol etc in the morning.It has never been anywhere near the 5'smmol in the mornings since ive been testing it (every morning - it hardlty ever goes above the low 4'smmol). About an hour-hour and a half before i tested it i woke feeling really hungery/ strange feeling hard to describe. Could my blood sugar have been higher than usual because my sugar levels had dropped? please post back. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 19, 2007 1:16 pm

User avatar With insulin use there are two things that can commonly cause elevated morning blood sugars.

One is called the dawn phenonmenon. This is when the blood sugar goes up in the morning because many of the body's hormones such as growth hormone and cortisol peak in the morning time and counter act the effects of insulin.

The other effect, it appears more likely in your case, is known as the somogyi effect. This is when the blood glucose level dips low during the night. As a result, the body releases lots of counter-insulin hormones to raise the blood sugar causing it to be elevated in the morning.

If you are using insulin it may be that you need less at night. If you are not using insulin you may need to talk with your doctor about a medication to blunt the effects of insulin some to keep you from going low.

Best wishes.
 jen77 - Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for your reply. Is it normal to keep having these hypoglycemic attacks especially in the morning when i wake (i don't take insulin etc...) what could it mean? Also i am beginning to not always notice when my sugars have dropped, for example i tested it the other day i felt fine just a bit tired checked it on the offchance it was 1.4mmol, then another time i did it and felt awful, weak shakey faint nauseaus and it was fine at 4.2mmol, why does this happen? (i have many probs at the moment, cant gain weight, low BMI 16, fatigue, anxiety, hair comes out in handfuls, cold especially hands, weaker, lack energy and stamina now, dizzy spells... ) also my fasting blood glucose test was 1.2mmol, what condiions can cause fasting hypoglycemai? please reply im despirate, thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:06 pm

User avatar I would guess that there may be more than one event going on here. Have you had thyroid function testing? I would schedule a complete evaluation with an internal medicine doctor, endocrinologist, or primary care doctor and discuss all your concerns in case there is another underlying cause of your symptoms but continue to follow your doctor's advice for monitoring your blood sugar as well. If it is mostly hypoglycemia-related problems, perhaps a visit with a nutritionist would be helpful. Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here