News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Thyroid cyst with solid component

picklepudding1 - Sun May 20, 2007 9:26 am

I am a 31 year old female andI have a cyst on my thyroid which has a solid component too. As far as I am aware, my blood test results were normal. I have had a fna and have been told that the lump is not cancerous but I know no more about it other than that I am due to have it removed in 3 weeks time. I am so confused as to whether I actually need the surgery. The consultant that I saw before the FNA said that he usually removes lumps as they have a risk of turning nasty in the future - does this apply to a cyst with a solid component? One registrar advised me that if I left the lump there it would be fine but that I would have it checked every 6 months (why check it if it would be fine?) and the other said that it was best to have it removed to double check that it was not cancerous. I just don't know what to do for the best. . I really need advice as to whether it is of a benefit to me to have this surgery. Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:00 am

User avatar I am not a surgeon so I cannot answer with absolute certainty but often when a thyroid nodule is found the recommendation is to have it removed. The concern is that it may at some point in the future become cancerous. While the likelihood is low there is always the possibility.

I believe that because of this concern the recommendation is to have them removed. I am not able to give you any statistics on the chances, unfortunately.

Also, please do not rely on my information as the absolute truth because this really is outside my field of expertise.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here