Question: Hi I need help on something thats ruining my life

futfo112 - Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:11 pm

I am 17 years old, Im a male. Im gonna try to explain this the best that I can. in 2001 my sister died from lupus it runs in my family and my uncle died from it to. Well I would ever since puberty began I have noticed somthing different. At first I didn't really notice anything until later years come and now its full blown on. I have these symptoms, I have a racing heart or tachycardia pretty much all the time, I have these weird purple red stretchs from about my armpit to about the crease in the arm. I get shakes and sweating real bad if I don't eat. I have sweating literally all the time. When I was little I was beyond skinny never had any fat on me. And now I have gained fat in the abdomen section around the neck and my face seems to have gotten fatter. I am really worried. I am on celexa and robinol forte. The whole thing that got me started was my really fast heart beat and sweating. It was runing my life I was constantly thinking about sweat stains but I have drysol now. I went to a endocronologist and got my cortisol level tested and that was about 1 year ago. And at first it came back that it was really high, I got it tested against with a shot in my arm I was supposed to fast but I ate somthing at like 2 in the morning. and then it came back normal. Im wondering if I have cushings disease but now it has progressed bad. I read on cushings disease recently and it said somthinga bout stretch marks on the arms. These stretch marks are really weird. I need some help.
 futfo112 - Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:12 pm

guess no one can help :(. Its ok I have been doing alot of research reading on everything, anatomy class helped alot.
 aflttrby - Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:09 pm

:? WELL HI, SWEETY!!
IM LOOKING UP INFO ON CUSHING DISEASE, AS I AM A MEDICAL ASSISTANT STUDENT, AND
Symptoms vary, but most people have upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and thinning arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other symptoms appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin. It bruises easily and heals poorly. Purplish pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting or rising from a chair may lead to backaches, rib and spinal column fractures.

Most people have severe fatigue, weak muscles, high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Irritability, anxiety and depression are common.
Cushing's syndrome occurs when the body's tissues are exposed to excessive levels of cortisol for long periods of time. Many people suffer the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome because they take glucocorticoid hormones such as prednisone for asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and other inflammatory diseases, or for immunosuppression after transplantation.

Others develop Cushing's syndrome because of overproduction of cortisol by the body. Normally, the production of cortisol follows a precise chain of events. First, the hypothalamus, a part of the brain which is about the size of a small sugar cube, sends corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) to the pituitary gland. CRH causes the pituitary to secrete ACTH (adrenocorticotropin), a hormone that stimulates the adrenal glands. When the adrenals, which are located just above the kidneys, receive the ACTH, they respond by releasing cortisol into the bloodstream.

Cortisol performs vital tasks in the body. It helps maintain blood pressure and cardiovascular function, reduces the immune system's inflammatory response, balances the effects of insulin in breaking down sugar for energy, and regulates the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. One of cortisol's most important jobs is to help the body respond to stress. For this reason, women in their last 3 months of pregnancy and highly trained athletes normally have high levels of the hormone. People suffering from depression, alcoholism, malnutrition and panic disorders also have increased cortisol levels.

When the amount of cortisol in the blood is adequate, the hypothalamus and pituitary release less CRH and ACTH. This ensures that the amount of cortisol released by the adrenal glands is precisely balanced to meet the body's daily needs. However, if something goes wrong with the adrenals or their regulating switches in the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus, cortisol production can go awry.

HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE.. IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS HITTING THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!

KEEP FINGERS CROSSED!
ANGELA

|