Question: Normal TSH and Free T4 but hypothyroid symptoms

franbf - Thu May 31, 2007 11:06 am

I need to know if my doctor has ordered all of the necessary tests to diagnose hypothyroidism. My TSH is 2.25 and my Free Thyrozine is 0.8. I have the following symptoms: weight gain, unable to lose weight, itchy dry skin, fatigue, insomnia, anxiety (I am being treated for an anxiety disorder), and dry hair. My doctor says that he doesn't think he needs to do any other tests. Can you have a normal TSH and Free T-4 and still have an underactive thyroid? (CMP and CBC were also normal). He has not felt my thyroid but I don't think it's enlarged. My meds are Xanax, Provigil, Paxil CR 25 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg. and he's just ordered seraquil, which I haven't started yet. Please advise.
 lynn42 - Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:51 pm

I had that same problem and it was my thyroid. I'm just a regular person but have had 20 years of thyroid experience. Went to over 16 doctors in 6 years and they all told be basically I was crazy. Same exact symptomsas you. I finally had to call a doctor and demand he would give me ALL three different thyroid tests or I would not see him. First one, thyroid scan, came back cold nodule (possible cancer) but he said no way...it is not so don't worry. Then he did the second test, thyroid ultrasound, and it came back with Hashimoto's disease (immune stuff) with a cobblestone pattern on my thyroid but he said "I did not have cancer." Finally, I wanted a needle biopsy on the nodule. He said it was a waste of time and didn't want to do it and I reminded him he promised. He said he was going to India for 6 weeks and he would do it then. When he got back, I had to call him to remind and schedule. Two days later he calls up and says I have thyroid cancer. (Duh!) That was three years ago and I had complete thyroidectomy, so watching my thyroid levels are key.
You have to see where on the spectrum your TSH levels are. The doctor should have definitely felt your thyroid for nodules. Sometimes one person's TSH normal levels are not another. I would recommend asking your doctor to give you a very small dose of thyroid supplementation for about 6 weeks to see if the symptoms reduce. If so, then that could be your problem. I would also recommend a thyroid scan to check for any hot or cold nodules that could be problems. I'm assuming you had a complete CBC and everything else came out normal. Don't give up...I felt like I was dying and going crazy at the same time...it took 6 years, 16 specialists, thousands and thousands of dollars but I read everything I could and basically diagnosed myself. I know how horrible you feel and I wish you all the best. I'm sending you good thoughts! : D

|