News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Diabetes and Neuropathy

smartsally0022 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:06 am

44 F diabetic over 2 years.
I found out I had diabetes because my feet were hurting really bad, no other symptoms. Now I have pain in my elbows, right more then the left. My doctor said it was tennis elbow. It is similar compared to all the information I have gotten about tennis elbow but I am now wondering if it is actually Ulnar nerve palsy due to the neuropathy.
The out side of the right elbow is extremely sensitive to touch or bump on a wall. both hurt during use and the right just hurts all the time anyway, can hardly lift a coffee cup. I am also feeling it in the right hand where it gets cramped about the middle part of the top f the hand, during use and twice really bad when I woke up, (possibly slept on it, had to splint it a few days)
Blood sugars a bit high A1c 7.8

This is a great site, was hoping to find something like this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:46 pm

User avatar Diabetic neuropathy tends to affect distal (further from the center of the body) parts of the nervous system first. This is why the feet tend to be affected before the legs are, etc.

It would be a bit unusual, though not impossible, to start getting symptoms at the elbow first then subsequently get hand findings.

You may want to see a neurologist for some nerve testing if there is concern for the possibility of a neuropathy. Another possibility is a nerve impingement syndrome where the nerve gets trapped, sometimes due to swelling of tissues around it (such as may happen with an overuse syndrome like tennis elbow).

Best wishes. I'm glad you find our site helpful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here