News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: missed period could it be linked to an adrenal problem?

jen77 - Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi I am a 20 year old woman, height 5ft 9, weight just 8 stone, BMI 16 ish, build thin, no related past history on me, no medical history on mothers side but there is a history of diabetes on my fathers side both his father and his grandfather had it and there is also a history of heart problems and cancer (i think it was pancreatic but not sure) on his side of the family. Am not on any medication, recently inlight of these problems the gp put me on antianxiety meds as thought that anxiety might have been the cause but they did nothing for me at all and symptoms and weight were still unresolved, so not on anything now.

Physically, my temp is uaually lowish (hands are always really cold), pulse fast at usually 100-200bpm resting, bp usually normal 112/77

I have been told these are many of the signs of adrenal insufficiency, cant gain weight, weakness, tiredness, lack of energy/ stamina, severe hypoglycemia esp when havent eaten in a while..could go on, (its been suggested that it could be a hormonal problem, adrenal? thyroid? etc )

However my question is recently i am much more thirsty, i have frequent urination of large volume that is usualy unconsentrated, and i have missed my last period, which is very unusual as i am usually very regular (i am not sexually active or taking the pill), i wondered if these could also be linked to adrenal, thyroid, hormonal problems? thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:19 pm

User avatar Your symptoms do sound like something is going on. Absent menses or delayed menses are often in response to stress (physical or psychological). Your issues with hypoglycemia and the frequent urination that is unconcentrated could indicate there is a problem with the pituitary gland.

The pituitary gland secretes a hormone called Antidiuretic hormone (ADH). It's action is to cause the kidney to concentrate urine by reabsorbing water.

The pituitary also signals for and releases other hormones, such as cortisol and growth hormone, as well as thyroid stimulating hormone. Lacking these hormones can lead to low blood sugar, low body temperatures, and many other effects.

I would recommend you see your primary care doctor for an evaluation. Many of these hormones can be tested quite easily with a simple blood test and urine test. A few of them need slightly more complicated challenge testing.

Keep us updated. Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here