News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: High Cortisol

HavingRoughTime - Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:20 pm

Hello, I'm a 44 yr old female and over the last 6 yrs or so I've had quite a few problems. I started out with insomnia to the point where I couldn't work full time anymore; depression; weight gain of approx 80lbs in a year; high blood pressure; extreme sweating to the point I look like I just got out of the shower; heart palpitations where I feel I'm having a heart attack. There are many more symptoms, but those are the major ones.

I've seen a few Endocrinologists, and some results I have, others I just have been told are "abnormal".

UFC is usually always normal, only once had a high normal 244 nmol/L (275)
Serum Cortisol after 1mg Dex 231 nmol/L
ACTH was 2 pmol/L
DHEAS was 2.5 mcm/L (0.9-6.5)
TSH is 1.37 miu/L (0.5-5.0)
Adrenal Vein Catherization Cortisol levels were: Left Adrenal
13,564 and 19.274 nmol/L
Right Adrenal 4,067 and 6,498 nmol/L. The peripheral
values were 805 and 712 nmol/L.
I have a 2.3cm Adenoma on my right adrenal gland, and 2 nodules on my left of 5mm and 6mm. I have been told by both Endo's I've gone to, that they're pretty sure I have Cushings Syndrome, until one test comes back ok (the UFC usually) and then I'm told there's nothing they can do for me. Do you have any suggestions? My life has come to a standstill with this, I really need help. I also get cramp like pains in my left and right flanks (more so the left tho). These aren't debilitating, more of an annoyance. I do however, get PAIN on my right side, under my ribcage (pretty much where my gallbladder used to be, but i've had an ultrasound and there's no stone in the duct or anything).

I'm sure there's so much more to tell, but I know your time is short so I won't keep you reading.

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:29 pm

User avatar The level of complexity of your situation is, unfortunately, a bit above my knowledge of endocrinology. I do know that pituitary adenomas can be associated with Cushing's disease. If you have the symptoms and an elevated cortisol level it is certainly suspicious for Cushing's syndrome (technically different from cushing's disease but the net results are the same).

You may want to consider seeing another endocrinologist to ask him to review your labs. Sometimes getting a fresh perspective can be quite helpful.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here