News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Will sibutrex cause cancer?

scdv - Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi,
i am female/age-27 facing thyroid problem for more than 8yrs. 4yrs ago my doctor prescribed "sibutrex 10mg". i consumed sibutrex for 4 months and my weight also reduced by 30kgs. After that doctor asked me to stop taking sibutex. I am taking eltroxin and was maintaining weight in normal level. but after delivery, my weight has increased now. can i take sibutrex again now? is there any side effects? some of my friends are advicing that, if i consume weight reduction capsules, it will lead to cancer. Is it true? kindly provide me with the details.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:28 pm

User avatar From what I was able to find sibutramine (sibutrex) is not known to cause cancer. However, it is a drug with a complex mechanism of action and can have many drug interactions and side effects.

Before restarting this medicine I would recommend you talk with your doctor about all these things to be sure you are fully aware of the things to watch for.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here