News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Low blood sugars, low white count, feel terrible...help!

bedrestmom - Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:05 pm

I am a 41 yr-old woman, and am currently struggling with low blood sugar issues, which the doctor's cannot explain. All they tell me is that my white count is low. (Ranges from 2.9 to 3.1 in the last month.)
My fasting blood sugar is around 75 on average. When I eat, my blood sugar very quicklly spikes up past 165, and I get sweaty, hot and shaky. Two to three hours later, it plummets down to the 50's or 60's. I am tired all the time, lack energy, and feel terrible most of the time.
They've checked my thyroid, pituitary, liver panel, and now they tell me that a fasting insulin count was 3.4 on a scale of 1.4 to 14.
I am at a loss because I know there is something seriously wrong with me, but nobody seems to be able to help me. I had both a maternal and paternal grandparent with diabetes, so it is in my family.
I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, and am on estrogen patches. I also have a history of migraines, and take Topamax, plus Effexor.
Thank you for any help...I am very frustrated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:02 pm

User avatar There are many reasons for intermittently low blood sugars. These can be divided up into two main categories: low blood sugar with ketones and low blood sugar without ketone.

If ketones are not made it is a sign that either there is a problem making ketones which can lead to low blood sugar problems or that there is too much insulin around causing the low blood sugar.

If ketones are made, it is a sign that the normal signals to bring insulin down are turned off as they should be but the signals to raise blood sugar are not functioning correctly.

Your sugars appear to be borderline low but not overtly low making the usual set of possibilities a little less likely. You may need to have a test where your blood sugars are monitored while you fast for an extended period of time. This is usually done in the hospital so that labs can be drawn quickly if your blood sugar gets low (the best time to draw labs for hypoglycemia).

If you have not seen an endocrinologist this would be the next step.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here