News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Very Ill Diabetic PLEASE REPLY ASAP

elizabethms2577 - Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:37 pm

I woke up this morning feeling extremely ill. I have stomach pains as well as severe nausea. I am TRYING to keep myself hydrated (I feel very dehydrated) but I throw up the water I drink. My sugar was high this morning above 280, but I am now 168 without extra insulin. I feel very very weak, nauseous and I feel as if I am going to faint - laying down does no good either.

We just purchased a small puppy from a pet store 2 days ago. I have no idea if I could have gotten this from him somehow but my husband is fine.
We do have suspicions that the puppy has round worm b/c of its bloated tummy.

I have had similar episodes such as this before, but it seems once I get an IV on I feel fine a few hours later. I can't go to the hosp. right now though & I am away from familly.

PLEASE offer me some suggestions.

Elizabeth
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:07 am

User avatar Hello elizabethms2577,
You seem to be describing symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis. This is a very dangerous condition. You need several tests that include acetone in urine. If your symptoms continue then you need to go the ER as this condition could prove fatal. It must be ruled out immediately.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here