News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Confused-Hashimoto's

bunnyhop - Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:30 pm

I am a 38 year old woman. In December of 06 I began to experience a series of panic attacks, a few in one day for a while which whittled away to general anxiety and has gone away. While this happened I dropped about 8 pounds within days. Since then I have gone in the opposite direction. I have put back on the weight in addition to another almost 10lbs, despite a good diet with regular exercise. I've actually been dieting and stepped up exercise cannot lose anything. I have never had this problem before and have always led a very active life. I am also tired and weak, something again, I have never felt before. I seem to constantly have muscle pains in my shoulders and chest. I frequently experience chest tightness. I've had an EKG and echo and my heart is fine. I also have the feeling of a lump in my throat. One dr I visited said my thyroid was enlarged, a sonogram was ordered and it was confirmed normal. My GP ran thyroid tests and I had high thryroid antibodies, both thyroid peroxidase and thyroglulin ab. My TSH was 1.18. In the past, normal TSH for me has been around .635. My doctor recommended I see a endo because he felt that this might be the cause of all of my problems. It should also be noted that since December 06, I have had numerous drug allergies (even to drugs I have taken with no problem before) and the doctor thinks that it is related. I saw one doctor who put me on 15mg of Armour. The endo said this was a pediatric dose but to take it if I felt better and ran yet more tests. The tsh was still around 1.18 and he told me NOT to take the armour. I am so confused as to what I am supposed to do at this point. I do NOT feel well or anywhere near like my old self. Some dr's treat antibodies, some do not. I am tired of feeling awful and do not know what to do. Two GP's told me that I am on my way to hypothryroid while the endo told me that just because I have antibodies doesen't mean I'll go hypo. I FEEL hypo already. What is the proper treatment after all? If anyone can help, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Misty
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:18 pm

User avatar Hi,

I am not an endocrinologist and I would recommend you follow your endocrinologist's opinion because his opinion would be best.

One thing I may have missed: What was your free T4 level? Also, was the elevation of anti-thyroid peroxidase and the thyroglobulin antibodies a significant one or were marginally increased?

As far as I know, you don't treat an antibody rise. However, the rationale of your doctor is that you are symptomatic and he believes this warrants treatment.

As far as I can tell if your thyroid hormones are normal and your TSH is normal then your symptoms are probably due to something else.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here