Question: Thyroid problem???

acurl2004 - Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:22 pm

I am 25 years old (soon to be 26), and I have noticed a problem that seems to be getting worse as I get older.

My mother's side of the family seems to have thyroid problems, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm having the same problems.

Here's my symptoms in a nutshell:
I am constantly tired no matter the amount of sleep I get, and it's hard for me to concentrate. I seem to forget simple things during the day.
I can fall asleep within 5 minutes of laying down- at any time of the day, even hours after I've had a full night of sleep.
I am constantly bloated and constipated (embarassing), and I seem to be more bloated at the end of the day.
I eat like a horse, but do not gain weight (despite having a child 3 years ago which is reported to change your metabolism). I am 5'8" tall, and weight approx. 130-138 on any given day - which is suppose to be a normal weight.
I react very violently to high sugar content (for example, my job had a social lunch today in which they offered dessert - which I don't usually eat. I ate 1/2 of a cookie, and I was visiting the bathroom not 25 minutes after I ate).
I'm constantly sick, and when I get a cold (for example) it usually stays in my system for more than 4 weeks. Almost like I have no immunity to anything.
And to top it all, I have absolutely no sex drive, which I use to when I was much younger (also very embarassing since I am married).

I feel like it's starting to affect my lifestyle, and I've been dealing w/ this for some time. I don't know if it's really a problem, but it seems like I'm always struggling to get through the day. I've researched the problem on the internet, but I don't know what it could be, and I don't think a simple visit to the doctor is going to give a concrete answer. I work too much, and I'm a mother, but this behavior just seems uncommon to me. Any advice in what the possibilities may be would be most appreicated.
 Dr. Shank - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Dear acurl2004:

I hope that you can still receive notice of my reply to your questions, which you posted a year and a half ago. Even if not, I am sure that your questions resonnate with a lot of other readers of the Forum.

Falling asleep within five minutes is definitely abnormal. It either indicates severe sleep deprivation or narcolepsy. Never feeling refreshed no matter how much sleep you get shows that the quality of sleep that you are getting is very poor; this strongly points to a sleep disorder, such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, or periodic limb movement disorder of sleep.

You did not explain what you meant by your violent reactions to sugar and visiting the bathroom shortly after eating a cookie. I can think of some things that might also help explain your bloating, but more details would be helpful. Among the possiblilties are heritary fructiose intolerance, fructose-6-bisphosphatase deficiency, and carcinoid syndrome, but all of those are very rare.

You should certainly have your thyroid checked.

Actually, I would be very surprised if you did have any sex drive, the way you feel. For women, everything else has to be just right (For men, it is more like, "So I'm dead tired, and I hurt all over, and I feel awful--what's that got to do with it?").

There are a lot of other things to be considered, but I would start with your sleep and checking your thyroid. If you get to read this reply, I hope that you will let us know what those tests show. I would be glad to offer some additional suggestions after these possibilities have been addressed.

|